OTWAY FORUM MEETING No. 326 - Aug 11, 2019
Cr. Stephen Hart in attendance.
- COS Fees and Charges will be increasing by between 2-6%.
- Is this to increase revenue now that the annual rate rise has been capped at 0.5%?
- Contact COS or your councillors for further information as consultation has now closed.
- Land valuations in COS have also gone up by 1% on average.
- Apollo Bay Community Infrastructure Plan will have two more public consultations before it is finalised next year.
- Get involved as this will determine many aspects of our town.
- Fairhaven to Skenes Creek walking trail may cost up to $100m if ever approved?
- Cape Patton to Skenes Creek and Apollo Bay trails particularly challenging as the coastal zone is very vulnerable and narrow.
- The inner side of the road is private property and thus unavailable.
- An inland forest walk makes more sense!
- Consultation now closed final reports on route, costs and benefits due before the end of year.
- Groynes and walls are now estimated to cost $40m to protect the front and back beaches.
- $3m allocated for the whole state in last state budget for coastal erosion.
- Final recommendations, costing and timeline for erosion controls due before the end of year.
- New sand trap fence completed at the back beach, however erosion continues on recently completed sand dune face!
- Victorias Marine and Coast Policy to be released at the end of year and WILL include the latest IPPC predictions for sea level rise.
- $250,000 needed for a feasibility study on pumping recycled waste water from Black Rock, near Barwon Heads, to fill Lake Colac.
- This could cost up to $300m to build and $17m to operate annually.
- Only Cr. Stephen Hart voted against this fanciful idea!
- The lake is very shallow and silted and evaporation rates will be high.
- COS Community Satisfaction Survey shows that Apollo Bay residents less satisfied than Colac – 48% to $60%
- The review of COS ward boundaries and the local government act still on hold.
- Council elections due next year.
- Recordings of COS meetings will be available on the COS website from December onwards.
- A revised plan for the subdivision of 6280- 6230 GOR to be submitted soon.
- Marriners Vue housing estate has been sold to a Chinese developer?
- Controversial Barham valley farm has also been sold?
- COS has signed another 2 year management agreement for the AB harbour.
- Two new members appointed to harbour users consultation group.
- Aireys Inlet District Association calling for capacity study on tourism for the GOR.
- GOR Task force admits GOR mighty be reaching capacity but still calls for more tourism investment??
- See the excellent AIDA submission to the task force on the Otway Forum website.
Otway Forum meets 2nd Sunday of every month at 3pm at Marrar Woorn or find us at www.forum.apollobay.org.au.
Get involved and find out what’s really going on!
0428 091 694