13th May 2019
Apollo Bay Seniors Centre Update; Introduction to Silversmithing
Apollo Bay Seniors Centre Update
Marrar Woorn Neighbourhood House, Colac Otway Shire and Otway Health are involved in a joint project to fix up the Apollo Bay Seniors Centre. Funding from the 2018 Pick my Project round ($200,000) will go a long way in improving facilities. The Colac Otway Shire committed extra funds, aside from the Pick my Project income, to renovate the kitchen and it is due to be completed by the end of the month.
The layout of the kitchen remains the same, but all cabinetry is being replaced and stainless steel benches installed. The oven and rangehood are being replaced with new, bigger versions and there will be larger sink space installed. The kitchen tiling will also be replaced.
Many thanks to the representatives from the main user groups of the hall who helped to empty the kitchen for the renovation and sort through years of kitchenware.
The funding agreement for the Pick my Project income has been signed and the first stage of monies will be released next month.
Due for works in this stage of this funding are:
* Replacement of windows in main hall to aluminium framed, double glazed for thermal and acoustic value
* Replacement of all chairs to padded and stackable
* Replacement of all tables to mobile folding
* Improvement of storage facilities
* Installation of heating/cooling systems
* Installation of multi-media system including laser projector, retractable screen, audio equipment, hearing augmentation and audio curtain.
Dates for the next stage of developments are yet to be confirmed, but Marrar Woorn is working closely with the Colac Otway Shire to ensure that minimum disruption occurs to any outstanding Seniors Centre bookings. All user groups have been given the option to change venue to Marrar Woorn Neighbourhood House if required.
Introduction to Silversmithing
If you are looking for an outlet for your creativity, jewellery making can offer a rewarding choice. Creating a sterling silver ring is a great introduction to the joys of working with metal.
This workshop aims to provide a practical beginners approach to jewellery making. Participants will attend a workshop to learn how to craft in sterling silver and will be introduced to the following jewellery making techniques:
- Ring sizing and how to custom fit a ring
- How to create an individual design for a ring
- How to cut metal using a professional jewellers saw
- How to texture and stamp metal
- Soldering/annealing techniques with jewellers torch
- Finishing and polishing a completed piece
Included in the workshop:
- All base metal sheet and wire needed
- All tools and equipment needed to construct your ring
Date: Saturday 25th May
Date: Sunday 26th May
6 Pengilley Ave, Apollo Bay
Phone (03) 5237 8590
For more information, contact Otway Health on (03) 5237 8500.